Hey guys! I’m delighted to have Cate Beauman over today, author of the best selling romantic suspense series, The Bodyguards of L.A. County – we’ve talked about the latest novel in the series, Waiting For Wren, back in December.
Today Cate is being subjected to my merciless session of Q&A, so buckle up and enjoy the ride 😀
1. If you were to describe your e-book/book in only one word, what would it be?
2. Have you ever been hit by the infamous “writer’s block”? What did you do to escape it?
I’ll admit that I suffer through bouts of writer’s block with almost every book. It’s a pretty freaky feeling. There are certainly moments of panic where I’m certain I’ll never find the right words and my characters will be left to dangle on page twenty-five or one hundred fifty. It’s not uncommon for me to stare at a page for an entire day, riddled with anxiety, wondering if my career is over. But then I close my laptop and get busy with something else for a few hours (usually a cleaning project). Sometimes this solves the problem, other times, I close the lid again and come back later. Luckily, I find the words eventually, wipe my sweaty brow with a huge sigh of relief, and move on.
3. What does your day-to-day life consist of? What else do you do, aside writing?
My life revolves around my family and my obsession with storytelling. I have the good fortune of being able to work from home and raise my family. That being said, it’s not easy. Cooking, cleaning, homework, and hours and hours of time in my office occupy my time. I know, it’s not exactly glamorous, but it works for me! 🙂
4. How do you deal with bad reviews or acid criticism? What would you advise other authors to that effect?
Oh, the dreaded bad review. They definitely happen. It’s part of the territory. Not everyone will love our work and that’s okay. I don’t read my reviews—good or bad, ever.
Reviews aren’t written for me, the author. They’re written for readers who will ultimately decide whether they will choose to read my work. I write from my heart with the goal of always telling a good story. I’m lucky that many people love The Bodyguards of L.A. County. Those are the readers I write for.
5. What made you decide to go the self-pub way?
I love being a self-published author. I’ve never had any interest in going the traditional publishing route. I love being in charge of my deadlines, word counts, and keeping the rights to my work. I’m very attached to each and every novel I create. I can’t imagine giving them away and losing the ultimate say on the outcome of each story.
6. Did you hire professionals for editing, cover design, formatting?
Professional editing is a must! If you’re good with computers and can format and create your own covers, go for it. I happen to be technologically challenged (and that’s putting it politely). I love my formatter, cover artist, and editor. We are certainly a team. I feel extremely confident with the work they do, which is ideal since I have my hands full with my imagination.
1. If you could wish for any one thing, and it would immediately come true, what would you wish for?
I think we all wish for world peace and healthy children, but right this very second, I could go for something chocolaty and sinful—maybe some sort of mousse or a gooey brownie with chocolate ice cream and hot fudge sauce. Mmm!
2. If you were stranded on an isolated island, what’s the one book you’d absolutely wish to have with you?
Honestly, I think it would have to be a journal. That counts, right? Sometimes you just have to get the thoughts out of your head, especially when you’re alone!
3. Name your favorite fruit.
I LOVE bananas! They’re so good for you and delicious—a perfect combination.
4. Coffee or tea?
Tea—decaffeinated, of course.
5. Favorite season?
Summer. I love the greenery, and I hate being cold!
6. How about fav time of 24 hours?
Probably the morning hours. I’m definitely a morning person.
7. Were you a boyscout/girlscout?
8. Favorite food for breakfast?
Spinach/mushroom omelet for sure!
9. Latest book you’ve bought and read?
I wish I had time to read other writer’s work. I miss it desperately!
10. Do you collect things, like stamps, or key chains, or shoes?
I’m not much of a collector. I’m a Type-A, so I like clean and clutter-free.
11. Favorite color, you know you want to tell us!
I actually have three: yellow, pale blue, and sage green.
12. Drama or comedy?
Comedy! Who doesn’t like to laugh?
13. Have a fav quote or personal motto?
You reap what you sow.
14. Cats or dogs? Dogs!
I have two St. Bernards, Bear and Jack!
15. Dinner by candlelight or a night out clubbing?
Dinner by candlelight, preferably at home. I’m a homebody and like to cook my own meals. I know, boring!
About the Author & Links:
Cate currently lives in Tennessee with her husband, their two boys, and St. Bernard, Bear. She is the author of the best selling romantic suspense series, The Bodyguards of L.A. County. Before her career as an author, Cate worked in special education for 12 years.
“I’m a pretty lucky girl; one day I woke up and my entire life changed. I saw the light, so to speak, and decided I was going to be a writer. Now, two years later, I’m working on my sixth novel, Justice for Abby, and I’m an Amazon best selling author. I’m very grateful for the support and success I have had. – Cate “
- Star-Crossed Lover Excerpt & Giveaway - Aug 7, 2018
- What Lies in Shadows by Siena Noble Giveaway - Jul 24, 2018
- Paranormal Book Recs by Jennifer Honeybourn & When Life Gives You Demons Giveaway - Jul 17, 2018