The Seventh Cup by Nitesh Kumar Jain is a well-crafted mystery novel that contains just enough elements of a Shakesperean tragedy to make the reader sympathetic to the sociopathic protagonist, Avinash, a drama student from Goa, India. Enter Verona Schmidt, an unsuspecting Swiss exchange student, to upstage everyone in the college Dramatics Club and to become front and center in Avinash’s peculiar frame of mind. Over coffee at the local Nescafe, Avinash introduces Verona to the concept of mind transportation, which she perceives as nothing more than a fun game she is playing with a young man who seems to be flirting with her. The exchange student enjoys Avinash’s company and co-stars with him in his play put on by the Dramatics Club of their college. She eventually allows herself (despite her claim to having a so-called boyfriend named Kevin) to enjoy champagne and a kiss with Avinash. Dismissing the romantic moment as a drunken mistake, Verona flees back to Switzerland with the obsessed Avinash in hot pursuit across the globe.
1. If you were to describe your e-book/book in only one word, what would it be?
2. What would you say inspired you to write it?
I was inspired by the work(s) of Rhonda Byrne especially The Secret.
3. What was the source of inspiration for your protagonist? What about your antagonist?
The inspiration for the protagonist (and also the antagonist) came from various sources-Friends, Situations and my Personal Experience as well.
4. Have you ever been hit by the infamous “writer’s block”? What did you do to escape it?
Well, since this was my debut novel, I had to face the situations on a couple of occasions. But somehow, I had the motivation to continue and tried to draw inspirations from my surroundings in order to revert to writing.
5. Your all time favorite book?
It has to be Digital Fortress by Dan Brown
6. What made you pick that one above all others?
It was perhaps the only book so far, wherein I felt I was one of the characters of the book. I went into the plot o-so-literally.
7. What’s the longest time you’ve spent working on a project?
The completion of The Seventh Cup took me twelve months. That I guess was the longest time I had spent on one single project.
8. Would you say becoming an author has changed you? In what way?
I think the only thing that has changed is the world around me. I am still the same
9. Was there ever a time, during your work on the e-book/book, when you felt like giving up? What made you change your mind?
Towards the end of the writing process, I was stuck with The Last Chapter. I began to have dreams about the characters in the book imploring me to bring them to their ‘bookish’ end. I had to do it- more for my own sanity than for their salvation.
10. What does your day-to-day life consist of? What else do you do, aside writing?
Rather a normal routine. Gym-Office-Home. I usually write on weekends. Apart from that, I love to travel and explore and enjoy photography.
11. How do you deal with bad reviews or acid criticism? What would you advise other authors to that effect?
I do not consider a review as a ‘bad review’. I think any kind of criticism must be taken with good spirits and one should consider it as a yardstick assessment of ones progress in the field. A good review will never open doors for improvement but a so-called bad review will always do.
12. Is this title part of a series? Without giving us spoilers, of course, what can we expect from the next e-books/books in the series?
No, this title is not a part of any series (at least not for now). Well, I plan to write a romantic story with a tinge of thrill and suspense.
13. What do you have stored for us in the future? What are you working on/planning on next, aside this title/series?
I have loads of surprises in store. Let the right time come, it shall be revealed.
1. If you could wish for any one thing, and it would immediately come true, what would you wish for?
My own villa in a Swiss Village.
2. If you were stranded on an isolated island, what’s the one book you’d absolutely wish to have with you?
The Seventh Cup (I will continue to live with my memories)
3. Name your favorite fruit.
4. Coffee or tea?
Coffee (Though I come from the tea-state of India, Assam)
5. Favorite season?
6. Were you a boyscout/girlscout?
7. Favorite food for breakfast?
8. Latest book you’ve bought and read?
Inferno, Dan Brown
9. Do you collect things, like stamps, or key chains, or shoes?
I like collecting coins until I donated them all to a cousin who was more enthusiastic than me.
10. Favorite color, you know you want to tell us!
11. Drama or comedy?
12. Have a fav quote or personal motto?
“If you wish from the heart, the Universe will conspire so that you eventually receive it.” – Paulo Choelo
13. Cats or dogs?
14. Dinner by candle light or a night out clubbing?
Clubbing-anytime, anyday, anynight.
About the Author & Links:
Nitesh Kumar Jain (1987) spent his childhood days in the beautiful state of Assam in India and pursued his schooling at Carmel School, Jorhat. Later he went to BITS Pilani, KK Birla Goa Campus. He graduated as a Chemical Engineer in the year 2010 and worked as a trainee at Aditya Birla Chemicals inThailand for six months. He did his post-graduate work in Chemical and Bioengineering from ETH Zurich, Switzerland, and later (2012) worked as an intern at BASF AG, Basel. During his two-year stay in Switzerland, he conceptualized his debut novel, The Seventh Cup.
Apart from writing he loves photography and travelling to new countries to explore different cultures. Nitesh has visited several countries during the past few years such as Thailand, Switzerland, Italy, Germany,France, Austria,The Netherlands. He wish to visit Turkey, Australia and the Nordic countries in the coming years. He believes in the saying by Paulo Coelho: When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it!!!
Currently he is in Guwahati,India working on a start up venture and can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org
Latest posts by The_Butterfly_Livia (see all)
- Star-Crossed Lover Excerpt & Giveaway - Aug 7, 2018
- What Lies in Shadows by Siena Noble Giveaway - Jul 24, 2018
- Paranormal Book Recs by Jennifer Honeybourn & When Life Gives You Demons Giveaway - Jul 17, 2018