Elora can speak to the dead, but she has an affinity with the undead.
Born of immortal blood, her curse not set to trigger until around her twenty-fifth year, she was sent away to remain unaware of and hidden from the world of magic. And from vampires. But after Elora befriends the cocky, self-loving Ric Mason, she discovers secrets about him and his distant link to her family that reshape her entire world.
A dark, sexy three-book series that will have you screaming for more…
~ Bewitching BT
A cold shiver passed over me, pushing the summer heat away from the thick walls behind me.
I put my head down and brought my shoulders up, making myself as small as possible, casting my eyes to the glowing streetlight outside the prison gates. A hundred paces across the yard, that’s all that stood between me and freedom. A hundred paces through almost pitch darkness. A hundred paces past four ghosts that just made themselves visible to me, knowing I could see them.
They all looked up as I stepped out onto the grass, their eyes falling on the tight fist of fear in my chest. My heart raced as each step drew me closer, and I tried to remind myself that they had no physical power. They couldn’t actually hurt me. I hoped.
Tales of horror, of the tortures and other atrocities that led these murderers to prison, filled my head as I walked between them. I could feel the hairs stick up on the back of my neck as another one came up behind me. I wasn’t sure who it was, but his energy felt dark and menacing. Every cell in my body screamed at me to turn around and just take one look. But if I did, or if I ran, they’d know I was afraid and they’d feed on that—they’d follow me, most likely outside the prison walls and to my car. If I let them think they had no power over me, they might let me be once I reached the gates.
My breath hitched and my stride shortened as I quickened my pace. I hugged my chest, holding tight to the keys, but as I my heart leaped forward, just six steps away from the gates, my hand went loose for no reason and the keys dropped to the ground. The clunk didn’t register until I stepped outside the prison walls and as I spun around to look back at the shiny metal cluster—a few steps away into the pitch blackness I’d just walked through—the spirits closed in, standing shoulder to shoulder. No faces now. No form. Just wavering pulses of light. They hovered there just in front of the keys as if challenging me to cross the threshold back into the prison.
1. If you were to describe your e-book/book in only one word, what would it be?
2. What would you say inspired you to write it?
A higher power. I had the story in mind and I kept getting ‘signs’ that it needed to be written.
3. What was the source of inspiration for your protagonist?
The opposite of everything that’s out there in vampire literature right now.
4. Was there ever a time, during your work on the e-book/book, when you felt like giving up? What made you change your mind?
Many times. But my desire to write goes soul-deep. I can never give up. And my readers have helped encourage me through every pitfall too.
5. What does your day-to-day life consist of? What else do you do, aside writing?
I have 4 boys. One of them is a 13 month old, so my days are really busy.
6. How do you deal with bad reviews or acid criticism? What would you advise other authors to that effect?
Ha ha ha ha. I cry if I feel the reviewer might be right in some way. Then I make changes. But if they’re just being nasty with no foundations then I ignore it. And I advise other authors to avoid reading reviews.
7. Is this title part of a series? Without giving us spoilers, of course, what can we expect from the next e-books/books in the series?
It’ll be a three-book series. You can expect a fast-paced book with plenty of humor, hot sex, and mystery. I don’t want to have any ‘dead spots’ in the books where readers might get bored waiting for something to happen.
8. What made you decide to go the self-pub way?
Cover design and editors. Horror stories from other authors—their own personal stories. I didn’t want to be told I had to cut my books down and take all the description out just to sell it in mass market paperback, where it’d be shelved on a test run for six weeks and, if it didn’t sell well (without any marketing help from the publisher, apparently), they take it out of print. Publishers are scary. And with self-publishing I get to keep what I earn. After all, I’m the one that put in all the hard work. Why should I share my royalties with anyone else?
9. What would you say was the toughest part?
Learning to use Photoshop to make covers back when there weren’t many cover design services out there.
10. Did you hire professionals for editing, cover design, formatting?
Editing, yes. But formatting is easy. And cover design is easy now too.
11. Where is your work being distributed, Amazon, B&N, Smashwords, AllRomanceEbooks/Omnilit, some other distributor? How did you decide which one(s) to go with?
I go through Amazon and also Smashwords, who distribute the books to many other retailers like iTunes and B & N. They both make it easy and don’t require the files in odd formats, and most people buy books through those platforms.
12. If you could turn back in time and do things differently, would you? What would you change?
No. I’m a pretty seasoned author now, so I very rarely have regrets after publishing. And any mistakes I made with my first series were all learning curves. If I undid those, I wouldn’t be where I am now.
13. If you were to recommend one article, blog, post, or book to someone hoping to self-pub, what would it be?
Stephen King’s On Writing
14. In retrospect, what was the toughest part of self-pubbing? Was it the part that you thought would be toughest before embarking on this adventure?
In the old days of self-publishing it was the formatting and uploading in all these different file formats that was hard. But they’ve changed it all now and it’s easy as pie. Maybe learning all about taxes is the hardest part. I never really thought about what the hard part would be before I started out writing. I just put my head down and got into it.
15. What’s one characteristic of an author who self-publishes, one word that would describe them?
1. If you could wish for any one thing, and it would immediately come true, what would you wish for? A million sales in one month
2. If you were stranded on an isolated island, what’s the one book you’d absolutely wish to have with you? Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
3. Name your favorite fruit. Peach
4. Coffee or tea? COFFEE!!!!
5. Favorite season? Autumn
6. How about fav time of 24 hours? 9 am, when my kids are at school
7. Were you a boyscout/girlscout? No
8. Favorite food for breakfast? Weet-Bix (they’re Australian)
9. Latest book you’ve bought and read? Accidental Leigh
10. Do you collect things like stamps, or key chains, or shoes? Ha ha ha. Um, magnets for the fridge
11. Favorite color, you know you want to tell us! Jade green
12. Drama or comedy? Comedy!
13. Have a fav quote or personal motto? You only fail if you give up
14. Cats or dogs? Cats
15. Dinner by candlelight or a night out clubbing? Dinner
16. What song have you listened to most recently? Souls A’Fire by Matt Corby. It’s still in my head actually.
17. What first came to mind after reading question no. 1 of the Fun Facts section? I mean that thing that you reconsidered after giving it more thought 😛 I think maybe I first thought of a never ending pack of Tim Tams (Also Australian).
1. Your top secret, uber guilty pleasure is… TVD or Reign and a block of chocolate
2. If you could choose to be someone else for just one day, it would be… Can I be a cat? Ha ha ha. I’d laze in the sun and lick my own butt.
About the Author & Links:
AM Hudson lives and works in Australia. She has four sons, a husband that plays in a band, and writing is her full-time job. In her spare time she reads books and spends too much time on Facebook.
Some of her works include: The Dark Secrets Series (complete), and Willa Wicked.
Latest posts by The_Butterfly_Livia (see all)
- Q&A with Jen Wilde & The Brightsiders Giveaway - May 23, 2018
- Blessing of Luna by Blaise Ramsay Excerpt & Giveaway - May 22, 2018
- Hot Asset by Lauren Layne - May 16, 2018