Lia Meyers’ plan for a relaxing Scottish vacation is short-lived when one uncharacteristic moment of clumsiness lands her in the arms of a dangerously attractive Englishman.
The perfect opportunity for a much needed holiday romance? Wrong! Lia’s still reeling from the mother of all bad breakups, and she really doesn’t have the patience for Alastair Holden – despite his effortless charm and sexy British accent.
Arrogant and totally inscrutable, he’s exactly the sort of guy she wants to avoid but can’t: the man behind the mystery proves just too tempting to resist.
Drawn to him, Lia is forced to battle with her own insecurities, and the closer they become, the more she recognizes her own weaknesses as she peels away his layers with every night they spend together. Discovering the past Alastair is so desperate to conceal, Lia must decide if they can heal one another together or if their deepest fears will tear them apart.
~ Bewitching BT
Wide emerald eyes fringed with long lashes gazed down at me with guarded curiosity. His sculpted mouth twisted into a cautious smile, softening his jawline.
“Are you alright?” he asked as he loosened his grip on me. His voice was rich and smooth, like a full-bodied wine. The English accent he had could charm the pants off a nun. It made me want to fall into his arms again.
I stepped back, smoothing down my dress. He didn’t look much older than thirty, but his worn eyes betrayed his youth.
“I’m fine. I’m not usually that clumsy. Sorry.”
His brows furrowed. “I kept telling them someone was going to stumble over that patch of carpet. You’re sure you’re okay?”
“Aside from my bruised ego and general lack of grace, I think I’ll be alright.” I smiled up at him in an effort to thwart the growing blush from creeping up my neck. I wasn’t the type who embarrassed easily and needed to regain some sort of composure. No luck.
His expression altered subtly as his stare intensified. Something shifted in the air between us. It was as though he’d tethered me with some freakishly strong invisible rope. My pulse quickened. I was caught smack dab in the middle of his magnetic pull without any means of escape.
Not that I wanted to get away. His tall frame filled out the suit with powerful elegance. The quiet control with which he held himself mirrored royalty. A tousled mass of thick, dark red hair framed chiseled features that would inspire Michelangelo. But it was those eyes that got me.
They were so astute, yet veiled. I wanted to know what was behind them.
“Would you like a drink?”
How he made such an innocent question sound so seductive was beyond me. His dark stare was unflinching. If I said no, he’d probably take it as a personal insult. And I did want another one of those fruity-minty drinks; I just couldn’t articulate the words.
“I hear the signature drink is rather good. Would you like that?”
“Yes, please,” I finally managed to say.
Forget my cheeks, my whole body flushed as I watched him move toward the bar. A silver cufflink glinted off his crisply pressed gray and white pinstriped shirt. I noticed he paired it with a solid gray tie before he caught me looking. A smile ghosted across his lips as his languid gaze traced my curves. I made a big deal out of inspecting the carpet for more hidden traps that my shoes could fall victim to.
He handed me the drink, my fingers brushing his when I clasped the glass. Against my better judgment I fell captive to his stare once more. Luckily, I remembered my manners and thanked him.
“My pleasure. Have you been enjoying yourself?”
“Yeah. Well, aside from making an ass of myself just now.”
A flash of white appeared revealing a dazzling smile. It was extremely sexy and charming. And dangerous. I felt myself falling deeper and deeper under his spell.
“Trust me, stumbling on a carpet is not the worst thing I’ve seen at these events.”
“Stick around long enough and you just might see some of these well-dressed ladies toss off their shoes and throw some shapes when the band starts playing.” He grinned.
“Throw some what?”
“Dance.” His eyes flared with humor.
“You Brits and your crazy sayings,” I laughed.
“We like to keep you Americans on your toes.”
I took a long sip of my cocktail to prevent a stupid grin from spreading across my face.
“Don’t have too many of those. They’re rather potent.”
“But they’re so good. Don’t piss on my fireworks.” I smiled broadly.
A deep, throaty laugh filled the space between us.
“’Throwing shapes’ baffled you, but you know ‘piss on my fireworks?’”
“My sister only taught me the fun slang,” I laughed.
“Does she live here?”
“Not in Glasgow, no. She lives in London.”
“Well then, you’ll have to thank her for me,” he said, smoothing down his tie.
“Thank her for what?”
“Pretty Americans who know British slang are rare in these parts.”
“Interesting.” I looked up at him through my lashes.
“Someone just warned me that you guys have a thing for American girls.”
His eyebrows arched. “And what did they say?”
“It has something to do with our accents.”
“You have an accent?” He angled toward me. “I hadn’t noticed.”
The way that he was looking at me caused me to completely forget my exhaustion. His dark eyes and sexy grin woke me up in more ways than one, pushing several of my hot buttons.
“Be careful,” he said, clasping the glass in my hand. “You don’t want to spill it all over your dress.”
Way to go. “You must think I’m a hot mess. First I take a nose-dive into your suit and now I’m dropping drinks.”
“Like I said, I’ve seen worse.”
The longer I held his gaze, the faster my heart raced. There was something…forbidden in the way he looked at me.
“I should probably get back to my friends.”
“Do you have to?”
A suffocating aura of want enveloped me. He was closer, dominating the space between us. Our quick, breezy exchange was light years away from the hazy, thick fog of desire that hung in the air. Get it together, Lia. Walk away.
“You’re rather deep in thought.”
I blinked. “Sorry.”
“Don’t apologize. I thought maybe I was boring you.”
A shrill ring sounded from his pocket. He fished out a cell phone, frowning at the screen.
“I have to take this.”
And just like that, I was pulled out of his engaging aura and plopped back into reality.
1. If you were to describe your e-book/book in only one word, what would it be?
Sexy! No, wait….emotional. But then it’s also funny in some parts. Sigh. I’m already giving you too many words for a one word answer. =)
2. What would you say inspired you to write it?
My love of travel. About eight years ago, my friend and I went to Glasgow. It was my first time there and I loved it. I’ve always had the idea to write a trans-Atlantic romance involving an American girl and a British guy. I just needed to find the perfect place to start their story. Once I went to Glasgow, I knew I had my beginning.
3. Would you say becoming an author has changed you? In what way?
I don’t think it’s changed ‘me.’ I’m still the same goofball I’ve always been. But being an author has certainly helped me fine tune my writing. Oh, wait. It has changed one thing: my friends are always telling me about some experience they’ve had and then saying I should add it to my book. Or add them as a character.
4. Is this title part of a series? Without giving us spoilers, of course, what can we expect from the next e-books/books in the series?
Yes! Catch My Breath is the first in The Breathless Series (the other two books are Unravel Me and Effortless). The books follow the relationship between Lia and Alastair. There are quite a few tense moments for these two to work through. I guess you could say their relationship isn’t easy and is met with many challenges along the way.
1. Name your favorite fruit. – Strawberries
2. Coffee or tea? Coffee. If you’re taking orders, I’ll have an iced French Vanilla.
3. Favorite season? Winter. I love everything about the winter. Cold, snow, everything. My family and friends often joke that I would do very well living in Antarctica.
4. Favorite food for breakfast? I’m obsessed with a recipe I found last month for refrigerated oatmeal. Seriously! You take rolled oats and mix them with almond milk, chia seeds, honey and almond butter. Let it sit in the fridge for an hour or so and then top it with Greek yogurt and your favorite fruit. Obsessed! I have it almost every morning.
5. Latest book you’ve bought and read? Captivated By You by Sylvia Day. I’m also in the middle of reading The Silver Chain.
6. Do you collect things like stamps, or key chains, or shoes? I have more handbags than I know what to do with. Big ones, small ones, cross-body ones. Handbags are my weakness.
7. Favorite color, you know you want to tell us! Emerald green!
8. Drama or comedy? Ooooh, both. I’m all about laughing but sometimes a good drama just sucks me right in.
9. Cats or dogs? I have two cats so I suppose I’m partial to them. But I do love dogs. Except when they try to lick my face. I have to draw the line somewhere.
10. Dinner by candlelight or a night out clubbing? Definitely dinner by candlelight. Bonus points if my date cooks the dinner!
11. What song have you listened to most recently? I can NOT get enough of Goin’ Down For Real by Flo Rida and Hey Mama by David Guetta (Feat. Nikki Minaj). They are constantly on repeat on my iPod. I may even be guilty of dancing in my car and singing along.
1. Your top secret, uber guilty pleasure is… NKOTB. All day, everyday. And it’s not really top secret. I’m pretty vocal about it.
2. If you could choose to be someone else for just one day, it would be… Gisele Bundchen because she’s married to my super crush, Tom Brady (sigh).
3. Your oldest memory is… playing out in the snow after a huge blizzard when I was 3. I remember standing on a snowdrift in my front yard.
4. If everyone would receive a prize for being best at something, you’d be no. 1 at… procrastination.
5. Your favorite part of a date is…learning something new/fun about my date that I didn’t expect to find out.
6. If a character from any book could become real and you could spend a day with them, it would be… from the book...Gideon Cross from the Crossfire Series. I really just want to be driven around in a Bentley. 😉
7. You were/are a hardcore fan of…FOOTBALL. Specifically, my New England Patriots. Love them, love them, love them.
8. You’d immediately fall for someone who…has a British accent. Or makes me laugh. Or has a British accent while making me laugh.
9. The most awkward moment in your life happened when...I went skiing for the first time when I was 16. I was so excited. I borrowed my aunt’s ski pants so I didn’t have to buy new ones for the short trip. At the mountain, I went up the bunny slope all ready for my first experience skiing down. It all started off fine. I was smiling and exhilarated and then…..I fell. Well, I didn’t just fall. I tumbled, did a split and ripped my (aunt’s) pants right up the butt. To top it off, a 5 year old helped me up and found my ski poles for me. I spent the rest of the trip in the lodge drinking hot chocolate. Awkward? Yes. Embarrassing? Absolutely.
10. The awesomest thing in your life is...doing what I love, which is writing. I love creating characters and absolutely adore immersing myself in their world and then sharing it with readers.
About the Author & Links:
A fresh, new voice in contemporary romance, Lynn is a former TV news writer who decided to take the plunge and write a novel. She’s thrilled that her debut series has been published by Harper Impulse. Catch My Breath, Unravel Me and Effortless were released to rave reviews.
Lynn grew up in a small town in Rhode Island before venturing out into the world. She’s lived everywhere from Los Angeles to Boston to Orlando. An avid traveler, Lynn’s been as far away as Australia and as close as Canada. Her favorite place to visit is London.
The small town girl is back on the east coast after a brief stint in Northern California. Lynn currently resides in Massachusetts, comfortably close to her beloved football team.
Latest posts by The_Butterfly_Livia (see all)
- My Source of Inspiration for the Character of Kat Preston by K.C. Tansley & The Girl Who Saved Ghosts Giveaway - Oct 18, 2017
- Halloween Flash Fiction by Aubrie Nixon & Secret of Souls Spooktacular Giveaway - Oct 17, 2017
- The Inspiration Behind Secrets Hidden In The Glass by Cate Beauman, Excerpt & Giveaway - Oct 13, 2017