My name is Rachel. I’m straight . . . I think. I also have a mountain of student loans and a smart mouth. I wasn’t serious when I told Pari Sadashiv I’d marry her. It was only party banter! Except Pari needs a green card, and she’s willing to give me a breather from drowning in debt.
My off-the-cuff idea might not be so terrible. We get along as friends. She’s really romantically cautious, which I find heartbreaking. She deserves someone to laugh with. She’s kind. And calm. And gorgeous. A couple of years with her actually sounds pretty good. If some of Pari’s kindness and calmness rubs off on me, that’d be a bonus, because I’m a mess — anorexia is not a pretty word — and my little ways of keeping control of myself, of the world, aren’t working anymore.
And, if I slip up, Pari will see my cracks. Then I’ll crack. Which means I gotta get out, quick, before I fall in love with my wife.
1. If you were to describe your e-book/book in only one word, what would it be?
2. What would you say inspired you to write it? ?
3. What was the source of inspiration for your protagonist? What about your antagonist? ?
Kate Mara was one heroine & Aishwarya Rai Bachchan is the other. There’s not really an antagonist in this book, only the emotional play as they find out more about each other and themselves.
4. Have you ever been hit by the infamous “writer’s block”? What did you do to escape it? ?
I have, actually. Before I wrote Far From Home, it had been about 10 months since I had written any full story more than 10k words. I had a lot of stuff going on in my life and my emotional energy was spent. I had to refill the well, so to speak. Get things straight in my life and learn to take care of myself again.
5. Your all time favorite book? ?
God, it’s so hard to pick only one. Ummm…. Stranger in a Strange Land, by Robert Heinlein
6. What made you pick that one above all others? ?
I have a complicated history with Heinlein books. My fave is problematic. Sooooo problematic. But I keep being drawn back to the innocence and optimism that underwrites Stranger. Plus I crave the ability to grok the universe. (Though in grokking, one would know that the entire universe is unknowable. Heh.)
7. What’s the longest time you’ve spent working on a project? ?
Six months. I ended up scrapping that book.
8. Would you say becoming an author has changed you? In what way? ?
I’ve had to find new creative outlets. Which sounds like such a stack of whine, but it’s true. Writing used to be my pure outlet. Now I’ve got a lot of industry knowledge and expectations and hopes. So I’ve been learning to knit. Yay, yarn!
9. Was there ever a time, during your work on the e-book/book, when you felt like giving up? What made you change your mind? ?
Nope. Far From Home was one of those beauties that I knew was good and true all the way from the beginning.
10. What does your day-to-day life consist of? What else do you do, aside writing? ?
I have a day job as a local Parks & Rec secretary. No, I’ve never seen the show.
11. How do you deal with bad reviews or acid criticism? What would you advise other authors to that effect? ?
I try not to look! I don’t read them if I can possibly help it. I have amazing editors and really great friends. If there’s a bit of my stories that needs help, they’ll tell me.
12. Is this title part of a series? Without giving us spoilers, of course, what can we expect from the next e-books/books in the series? ?
Far From Home is the first book of the Belladonna Ink series. The next will be Take Me Home, coming November 1st. It’s a holiday f/f story where a Craigslist ad ends up going very, very right. It was a lot of fun to write!
13. What do you have stored for us in the future? What are you working on/planning on next, aside this title/series? ?
I’m not sure how much I can give away, but I’m going to be taking part in a…thing. There will be classic novels and Riptide Publishing involved.
Fun facts: :
1. If you could wish for any one thing, and it would immediately come true, what would you wish for? ?
I would wish for my family & loved ones to be safe & secure.
2. If you were stranded on an isolated island, what’s the one book you’d absolutely wish to have with you? ?
Any Lisa Kleypas that I haven’t read yet. I have like three that I’ve been keeping for a special occasion. Island time seems like the perfect choice.
3. Name your favorite fruit. ?
4. Coffee or tea? ?
5. Favorite season? ?
6. How about fav time of 24 hours? ?
7. Were you a boyscout/girlscout? ?
8. Favorite food for breakfast? ?
Lemon pound cake
9. Latest book you’ve bought and read? ?
Lord Savage by Mia Gabriel.
10. Do you collect things like stamps, or key chains, or shoes? ?
Does washi tape count?
11. Favorite color, you know you want to tell us! ?
12. Drama or comedy? ?
13. Cats or dogs? ?
Cats AND dogs!
14. Dinner by candlelight or a night out clubbing? ?
Depends what the club is playing.
15. What song have you listened to most recently? ?
This Mess We’re In, PJ Harvey
17. What first came to mind after reading question no. 1 of the Fun Facts section? I mean that thing that you reconsidered after giving it more thought 😛 ?
For my family to be “happy.” But people don’t have to be happy all the time.
1. Your top secret, uber guilty pleasure is… ?
If offered a choice between a fancy, handmade chocolate with expensive ingredients or Junior Mints, I would choose the Junior Mints.
2. If you could choose to be someone else for just one day, it would be… ?
Bill Gates so I could transfer a few million dollars into real-me’s bank accounts.
3. Your oldest memory is… ?
Standing above a rabbit shaped birthday cake. But apparently my mom made the same cake for me several years in a row (I really, really liked it, wasn’t in any way her fault), so it’s hard to tell what year it was. Somewhere between 4 and 7. I loved that thing because it was covered in coconut flakes as “fur” and I thought it was the cutest thing ever. (Can’t stand coconut flakes now though.)
4. If everyone would receive a prize for being best at something, you’d be no. 1 at… ?
5. The one thing you’d do anything to avoid/get out of is… ?
Cleaning up vomit. Or heck, even looking while someone else vomits. I can’t stand it. Break a bone or cut a finger? I’m your steady-in-an-emergency girl. Puke? I’m out.
6. Your favorite part of a date is… ?
I love banter. I love the part of dates when my partner and I are chilling out and having fun and we’re just making each other crack up like crazy. It usually happens at dinner, but can pop up anywhere.
7. You were/are a hardcore fan of… ?
Oh, man. I’ve been through lots of phases. I was really, really into Supernatural for a while. Until Season…8, I think? It jumped the shark. I was a Dean girl. Then for a while after the first Avengers movie I shipped Hawkeye and Black Widow. That’s over now. *sigh* I’d say I’m still a fan of the World Surf League. Mick Fanning is my fave. He’s a beast.
8. You’d immediately fall for someone who… ?
I’m at a point in my life where I’m super wary of immediately falling for anyone. I’ve been in a not good relationship that started with love bombing, so insta-love is actually kind of a red flag for me. Insta-attraction and insta-interest I get and you’ll see those in my books, but anything more literally scares me. So there. Maybe that’s a better dirty secret. I’m a romance lover who doesn’t believe in love at first sight.
9. The one thing you could/can never get over is… ?
The end of Dexter. Ugh, I get mad just thinking of it. Speaking of hardcore fan? I was a major fan of Dexter. I binge watched seasons 1 through 3 and then never missed any of them after that…and then that end. Jesus. Not fair.
10. The one thing that always brightens your day is… ?
Sunshine. I’m a vitamin D addict. One of my favorite things in the world is laying out in the sun while reading a book. Usually a romance novel. LOL
11. The most awkward moment in your life happened when… ?
I dunno about the most awkward, but this one was the most recent: I went to the driving range with my guy. It was pouring rain out, so he let me make a dash for the covered area while he got our clubs. Three white-haired old men gathered around the entrance.
“Forget your balls?” asked one of them.
“No, here they come now,” I said as I gestured to my guy.
And then I realized how that sounded and I ran far, far away. (Otherwise known as the other end of the driving range.)
12. The awesomest thing in your life is… ?
Everyone in my house. My kids & family are the best. They’re all fabulous.
To celebrate the release of Far From Home, Lorelie is giving away a ring! That’s right, a size 7 ring, similar to the one Pari buys for Rachel in the book. Leave a comment with your contact info to enter the contest. Entries close at midnight, Eastern time, on August 6, 2016. Contest is NOT restricted to U.S. entries. Thanks for following the tour, and don’t forget to leave your contact info!
About the Author & Links:
After a seminomadic childhood throughout California, Lorelie Brown spent high school in Orange County before joining the US Army. After traveling the world from South Korea to Italy, she now lives north of Chicago. She writes her Pacific Blue series of hot surfers in order to channel some warmth.
Lorelie has three active sons, two yappy dogs, and a cat who cusses her out on a regular basis for not petting him enough.
In her immense free time (hah!) Lorelie cowrites award-winning contemporary erotic romance under the name Katie Porter. You can find out more about the Vegas Top Guns and Command Force Alpha series at www.KatiePorterBooks.com or at @MsKatiePorter. You can also contact Lorelie on Twitter @LorelieBrown.
Latest posts by The_Butterfly_Livia (see all)
- Star-Crossed Lover Excerpt & Giveaway - Aug 7, 2018
- What Lies in Shadows by Siena Noble Giveaway - Jul 24, 2018
- Paranormal Book Recs by Jennifer Honeybourn & When Life Gives You Demons Giveaway - Jul 17, 2018