They call me an abomination. A mutant. A curse on their kind.
I don’t let it bother me. Much.
My name is Holly James, and what they say is true. I’m a freak of nature—a null. My mere presence zaps the magic from Others, rendering them powerless. That’s why they hate me. But here’s the kicker: I’ve found a way to profit from my lack of mojo.
Whether it’s acting as a mystical wet blanket in a dispute between pyromancers or keeping hormonal shifters from changing during a sweet sixteen party, I provide a highly specialized service. For a hefty fee.
When a young witch turns up dead, clutching an amulet cursed with black magic, my estranged grandfather asks for my help. In return for nullifying the necklace, Gramps promises to find my missing mother—a witch who vanished after my birth. Of course there’s a catch. He wants me to assist Cade McAllister, the arrogant sorcerer in charge of investigating the case.
Cade resents my existence, let alone my attempts to help. Still, I’ll do whatever it takes to find my mom. For my own peace of mind, I have to know what happened to her, and I won’t allow anything to get in my way. Not even this crazy, irrational longing I feel for a hot sorcerer with the sexiest scowl I’ve ever seen.
~ Bewitching BT
1. If you were to describe your e-book/book in only one word, what would it be?
2. What would you say inspired you to write it? ?
I wanted to do a fun, sexy, humorous take on urban fantasy.
3. Have you ever been hit by the infamous “writer’s block”? What did you do to escape it? ?
I take a nap. Usually, my brain just needs a little break from the book.
4. Your all time favorite book? ?
Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning
5. What made you pick that one above all others? ?
I’ve read it several times, and I never get tired of Mac and Barrons.
6. Would you say becoming an author has changed you? In what way? ?
I think I look at TV and movies differently. I’m always analyzing them now, noticing how their put together from a structural standpoint.
7. What does your day-to-day life consist of? What else do you do, aside writing? ?
I write all day. If I’m not working on a novel, I blog for a reality TV site. I’m a Bravo junkie.
8. Is this title part of a series? Without giving us spoilers, of course, what can we expect from the next e-books/books in the series? ?
Dispelled is part of the Null for Hire series. There’s a longer story arc that will take some time to fully develop. Holly James’ mom has been missing for years. She disappeared without a trace. And there are more magical characters to introduce with each book—that’s my favorite part.
9. What do you have stored for us in the future? What are you working on/planning on next, aside this title/series? ?
Besides my Null series, I write a humorous mysteries (The Rose Strickland series) and an erotic series featuring British heroes (Beauty and the Brit). I’m currently working on a romance series featuring Irish expats living in Chicago.
10. What made you decide to go the self-pub way? ?
I’ve always had a publishing house—a small publisher for my mysteries and a larger publisher for my romance novels. I decided to dip my toe into the indie waters with this book. It’s been kind of fun to venture out on my own.
11. What would you say was the toughest part? ?
The learning curve is steep. I did a lot of research before starting down this road.
12. Did you hire professionals for editing, cover design, formatting? ?
For the first two—absolutely. But I wanted to see if I could format on my own. I did it. I’m not sure I’ll do it again, but it felt like a victory.
13. How did you decide who to hire, if you worked with pros? ?
I asked around and got referrals from my indie author friends. Also, Marie Force’s Yahoo loop has been invaluable.
14. How long did the production part take, from the moment you began working on the manuscript to self-pub to when you hit ‘Publish’? ?
That’s a harder question. I’m not sure, because I had to fit writing and revising Dispelled in between contracted books.
15. Where is your work being distributed, Amazon, B&N, Smashwords, AllRomanceEbooks/Omnilit, some other distributor? How did you decide which one(s) to go with? ?
I’m on Amazon, B&N, Kobo, and iTunes. I decided to streamline, since I’m an indie virgin.
16. If you could turn back in time and do things differently, would you? What would you change? ?
No, I wouldn’t change anything. I’ve enjoyed working with publishing houses. I’ve learned a lot, met some great people along the way. No regrets.
17. What’s one characteristic of an author who self-publishes, one word that would describe them? ?
Fun facts: :
1. If you could wish for any one thing, and it would immediately come true, what would you wish for? ?
A million more wishes, naturally!
2. If you were stranded on an isolated island, what’s the one book you’d absolutely wish to have with you? ?
The Desert Island Survival Guide. Is that a real book? It should be!
3. Name your favorite fruit. ?
4. Coffee or tea? ?
Both. We are civilized, are we not?
5. Favorite season? ?
6. How about fav time of 24 hours? ?
8 p.m. Time with my hubby.
7. Were you a boyscout/girlscout? ?
I was a Bluebird—part of the Campfire Girls.
8. Favorite food for breakfast? ?
Coffee. I don’t do food in the morning.
9. Latest book you’ve bought and read? ?
I’ve been devouring the Cainsville series by Kelley Armstrong.
10. Do you collect things like stamps, or key chains, or shoes? ?
Beads. Shiny, shiny beads.
11. Favorite color, you know you want to tell us! ?
Teal. There. I said it!
12. Drama or comedy? ?
13. Have a fav quote or personal motto? ?
“If you don’t have anything nice to say, come sit next to me.”
14. Cats or dogs? ?
Dogs. Sadly, I’m allergic to cats.
15. Dinner by candlelight or a night out clubbing? ?
16. What song have you listened to most recently? ?
Blood in the Cut by K.Flay
1. Your top secret, uber guilty pleasure is… ?
Reality TV. Though it’s not such a secret.
2. If you could choose to be someone else for just one day, it would be… ?
Gigi Hadid. That face!
3. Your oldest memory is… ?
My second birthday party. We had a carousel set up in front of the house.
4. If everyone would receive a prize for being best at something, you’d be no. 1 at… ?
Useless trivia. If it’s random and serves no purpose, I know it!
5. The one thing you’d do anything to avoid/get out of is… ?
6. You were/are a hardcore fan of… ?
MMA. Conor McGregor is my UFC boyfriend. Shh, don’t tell my husband.
7. If you could have any one superpower, it would be… ?
If I could make the traffic part and get slow drivers out of my way, I would. I’m not sure what my superhero name would be, though. Gridlock Girl?
8. The awesomest thing in your life is… ?
My kids. They are worth all the pain, sacrifice, and stretch marks I’ve had to endure. They’re reading this, by the way. Hi, kids!
And thank you for hosting me today! It was great to be here.
About the Author & Links:
Terri L. Austin is a mild-mannered writer by day and a reality TV junkie by night. She lives in Missouri with her family, and loves to hear from readers.
Drop her a line:
Latest posts by The_Butterfly_Livia (see all)
- Growing Pains by Cass Lennox Excerpt & Giveaway - Mar 23, 2017
- Fear Nothing by Amber Malloy - Mar 21, 2017
- Sons of Devils by Alex Beecroft Excerpt & Giveaway - Mar 16, 2017