Sometimes it takes evil to kill evil
Vampire Alexis Black is on a mission – to rejoin the human race.
Coerced into signing an ironclad contract by an Angel-with-attitude, Alexis must hunt down and assassinate at least one vampire, werewolf, or creepy crawly every night for fifty years to become human again. Too bad the contract didn’t mention the badass vampire who now rides shotgun in her brain, insatiable bloodlust, or her new I-hate-everything-with-fangs sidekick. If she can fulfill her end of the bargain, her humanity is restored, if not she will be destroyed.
But when a revenge-seeking bloodsucker threatens her city, Alexis must risk everything to ensure there’s a humanity to return to. Since her vampire nature is her greatest weapon to defeat the monsters that threaten her friends and future, Alexis must choose to accept her inner beast or watch those she loves die.
~ Bewitching BT
An aging cocktail waitress hustled to over-serve society’s misfits. An ex-con, a dealer, and an addict pissed their lives away at the far end of the bar. A trio of prostitutes circled the room, their knock-off stiletto’s clicking on the wooden floor. And a single cockroach scurried for cover before being squashed.
How would the humans feel about me, the vampire, hiding in their shadows?
One of the battered bar stools toppled, throwing its occupant to the filthy concrete. The man, in a faded red and black flannel shirt, picked himself up off the floor. Dingy jeans slid down his hips, revealing a pair of boxers far past the expiration date for a wash. He bumped and weaved his way through the crowd, ignoring the spilled drinks and curses he left in his wake, and cut a crooked but determined path right to my table.
He collapsed into the booth next to me, blocking my only chance at escape. “How’s ’bout a drink?”
I wrinkled my nose at what had to be three days’ worth of sweat and grime, raised my bottle and sloshed the liquid from side to side. “Still nursing this one.” I focused on a faded picture of the Blues Brothers nailed to the wall and hoped he’d take the hint. A sharp tap on my shoulder told me this guy was either clueless or didn’t give a shit. My money was on clueless.
“What’s your name, sexy?”
Oh how I wanted to ignore his question, but the last thing I needed was Mr. Drunk and Stupid to cause a scene and blow my cover. “Alexis.”
His grease-coated fingers played “Get the Buggy” up my arm. I slapped them away before they got past my elbow. “How’s ’bout we get to know each other better?” He gave me a lopsided wink and ogled my breasts.
When he looked at me, he saw what every other human did, a twenty-three year old, petite brunette with large, light blue eyes. But if he leaned in close, he would see what lurked below the exterior, something sinister and scary, with sharp fangs and a deadly personality.
1. If you were to describe your e-book/book in only one word, what would it be? Snarky
2. What would you say inspired you to write it? ? This is the most random answer, but you know the Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer Cartoon? There’s this elf in there called Hermy and Hermy doesn’t want to be an elf he wants to be a dentist. I thought, what if there was a vampire who didn’t want to be a vampire, how would she become human again?
3. What was the source of inspiration for your protagonist? What about your antagonist? ? I like kick ass female characters, and I think my favorite is Kat from the Grave series. I would say her snark and attitude really helped me come up with a good idea of who Alexis was going to be.
4. Have you ever been hit by the infamous “writer’s block”? What did you do to escape it? ? Yes. It sucks. I move on to something else. Whether it is another part of the book or another story or even pick up my colored pencils and start drawing and sketching. I’ll do just about anything creative to get the juices flowing again.
5. Your all time favorite book? ? Hmmm…I’m going to cheat and pick a series. Anne Bishop’s Black Jewel Trilogy.
6. What made you pick that one above all others? ? Her characters and the way they are written. I fall in love with them every time I read the series, and I reread it every Christmas.
7. What’s the longest time you’ve spent working on a project? ? Well, from the time I started working on this book until the day it was finally published was about 5 years. I did have two others come out before this one though.
8. Would you say becoming an author has changed you? In what way? ? I’m still me, but it has given me a great story to tell my kids. The “hey”, look you can do whatever you want it just takes hard work and lots of patience.
9. Was there ever a time, during your work on the e-book/book, when you felt like giving up? What made you change your mind? ? After my first few contest non-finals I thought why am I doing this. But then I looked deep at what the critiques were saying, stopped throwing myself a pity party, and made some adjustments. Things got easier after that.
10. What does your day-to-day life consist of? What else do you do, aside writing? ? I’m a stay at home mom. Which consists of taking the kids to school, our two dogs to the dog park, let the two cats outside for a bit, take the bunny out of her cage, sometimes go and take care of my daughter’s horse, then I sit down and write until it is time to pick the kids back up and be mom again. I probably get a good 4- 5 hours of writing time in a day.
11. How do you deal with bad reviews or acid criticism? What would you advise other authors to that effect? ? I know they say don’t read reviews, but I do, I just can’t help it. I’ve not had any horrible ones just yet, but I’m waiting. I catually wrote a blog post about this exact answer.
12. Is this title part of a series? Without giving us spoilers, of course, what can we expect from the next e-books/books in the series? ? Yes. It’s book one of the Alexis Black Novels. Book two is going to take this character on a roller coaster ride. I’m being kind of mean to her, but it’s a journey she needs to go through in order to find herself at the end.
Here’s the first couple of paragraphs from book two, Evil’s Ultimate Huntress if anyone is interested…
My nightly vampire hunts used to be all wham-bam-thank you-ma’am, but lately they’ve been more can-you-keep-up bitch? Two months ago, I staked Delano, public kill everyone number one and ever since he’s been trying to return the favor. One pointy toothed mother fucker at a time.
His latest kill Alexis weapon had me pinned against a chain link fence in a quiet suburban neighborhood. Hands firmly planted on my breasts. Fangs snapping at my neck. I wasn’t sure which pissed me off more.
13. What do you have stored for us in the future? What are you working on/planning on next, aside this title/series? ? I’m hoping to have the third book in My Redeeming Cupid series released in November, then I am switching gear to have the second book in this series done by March and another Urban Fantasy out by next May in time for the Phoenix Comicon. I guess I have a lot of writing to do.,
Fun facts: :
1. If you could wish for any one thing, and it would immediately come true, what would you wish for? ? To end all the negativity in the world.
2. If you were stranded on an isolated island, what’s the one book you’d absolutely wish to have with you? ? This question is not fair Man…to pick just one of so many. Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost
3. Name your favorite fruit. ? Watermelon
4. Coffee or tea? ? Tea
5. Favorite season? ? I live in Arizona, anything that is below 90 degrees.
6. How about fav time of 24 hours? ? Early evening
7. Were you a boyscout/girlscout? ? Girl scout for a very short period of time.
8. Favorite food for breakfast? ? Hmmm…breakfast burritos
9. Latest book you’ve bought and read? ? The Sweetest Burn by Jeaniene Frost, but I am sure this answer has changed at least 15 times since this is posted.
10. Do you collect things like stamps, or key chains, or shoes? ? Do animals count?
11. Favorite color, you know you want to tell us! ? Black
12. Drama or comedy? ? Comedy
13. Have a fav quote or personal motto? ? “What if I fall? Oh but my darling what if you fly?”
14. Cats or dogs? ? Cats
15. Dinner by candlelight or a night out clubbing? ? Dinner by Candlelight
16. What song have you listened to most recently? ? Whatever my tween daughter makes me listen in the car. Usually Fall Out Boy or Twenty one Pilots.
17. What first came to mind after reading question no. 1 of the Fun Facts section? I mean that thing that you reconsidered after giving it more thought 😛 ? The power of teleportation
1. Your top secret, uber guilty pleasure is… ? Binge watching Shameless on Netflix.
2. If you could choose to be someone else for just one day, it would be… ? Chris Hemsworths wife
3. Your oldest memory is… ? Doing ceramics with my mom.
4. If everyone would receive a prize for being best at something, you’d be no. 1 at… ? Being a bitch…?
5. The one thing you’d do anything to avoid/get out of is… ? Going to parties. I am a total introvert and I really suck at small talk.
6. Your favorite part of a date is… ? Dinner
7. If a character from any book could become real and you could spend a day with them, it would be… from the book… ? Bones from Halfway to the Grave
8. You were/are a hardcore fan of… ? Marvel Movies
9. You’d immediately fall for someone who… ? Has amazing eyes
10. The one thing you could/can never get over is… ? Someone treating my kids like crap.
11. If you could have any one superpower, it would be… ? Teleportation…hey see I can use that answer from before.
12. The one thing that always brightens your day is… ? Seeing my husband come home from work.
13. The most awkward moment in your life happened when… ? Most of my awkward things happen because I act on my emotions instead of thinking things through first.
14. The awesomest thing in your life is… ? My family
About the Author & Links:
Jenn Windrow loves characters that have a pinch of spunk, a dash of attitude, and a large dollop of sex appeal. Top it all off with a huge heaping helping of snark, and you’ve got the ingredients for the kind of fast paced stories she loves to read and write. Home is a suburb of it’s-so-hot-my-shoes-have-melted-to-the-pavement Phoenix. Where she lives with her husband, two daughters, and a slew of animals that seem to keep following her home, at least that’s what she claims.
Jenn’s Urban Fantasy, EVIL’S UNLIKELY ASSASSIN won the RWA Fantasy, Futuristic and Paranormal (FF&P), “On The Far Side” writing contest in July 2014, top 5 in the RWA Desert Rose, “Realizing the Dream” writing contest, and finaled in the Houston Writers Guild annual writing contest in April 2014. It was also selected as first runner up in Writers Type’s First Chapter Contest in April 2013.
Her Paranormal Romance, STRUCK BY EROS placed first in the RWA’s Golden Pen Contest, third in the Ruby Slippered Sisterhoods Make it Golden contest, and fourth in the West Coast Romance Writers Beacon contest.