Seventeen-year-old Bryar Rose has a problem. She’s descended from one of the three magical races—shifters, fairies, or witches. That makes her one of the Magicorum, and Magicorum always follow a fairy tale life template. In Bryar’s case, that template should be Sleeping Beauty.
“Should” being the key word.
Trouble is, Bryar is nowhere near the sleeping beauty life template. Not even close. She doesn’t like birds or woodland creatures. She can’t sing. And she certainly can’t stand Prince Philpot, the so-called “His Highness of Hedge Funds” that her aunties want her to marry. Even worse, Bryar’s having recurring dreams of a bad boy hottie and is obsessed with finding papyri from ancient Egypt. What’s up with that?
All Bryar wants is to attend a regular high school with normal humans and forget all about shifters, fairies, witches, and the curse that Colonel Mallory the Magnificent placed on her. And she might be able to do just that–if only she can just keep her head down until her eighteenth birthday when the spell that’s ruined her life goes buh-bye.
But that plan gets turned upside down when Bryar Rose meets Knox, the bad boy who’s literally from her dreams. Knox is a powerful werewolf, and his presence in her life changes everything, and not just because he makes her knees turn into Jell-O. If Bryar can’t figure out who—or what—she really is, it might cost both her and Knox their lives… as well as jeopardize the very nature of magic itself.
FAIRY TALES OF THE MAGICORUM
1. Wolves And Roses (Fall 2017)
1.5. Moonlight And Midtown (Spring 2018)
2. Shifters And Glyphs (Fall 2018)
~ Xpresso BT
1. If you were to describe your e-book/book in only one word, what would it be?
Fairy Tale Awesomesauce (OK, that’s three. Oops!)
2. What would you say inspired you to write it? ?
I always loved the original Grimm’s Fairy Tales. You know, the ones with the harsh characters and gruesome endings? I especially liked how in the originals, the heroines were active players in their own success. I hope that comes through with the character of Bryar Rose in WOLVES AND ROSES.
3. What was the source of inspiration for your protagonist? What about your antagonist? ?
I wanted Bryar Rose to be a Manhattan penthouse kid because I’ve known a few of those in my life and some parts of their lifestyle (mostly the real estate and housing aspects) seem like fun. So Bry was a penthouse kid. But then, I couldn’t make Bry’s life too fun, so she became what was essentially a prisoner in a very lovely cage. The big bad Jules…what can I say about him that won’t be a spoiler? Not much so I’ll pass for now.
4. Your all time favorite book? ?
Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien
5. What made you pick that one above all others? ?
I was a pretty miserable teenager, and reading Lord of the Rings helped me escape reality and cope. I think that’s why I keep coming back to the young adult segment. I want to give another kid a quick escape from the sucktasticness that can be the experience of growing up.
6. What’s the longest time you’ve spent working on a project? ?
I’m juggling a ton of projects at any one time. It’s like they’re my children and I have to pick ones to bring to life. I honestly feel a little guilty about the stories that have been waiting ten-plus years to get written. Weird, right? Welcome to the inner world of being a writer!
7. Was there ever a time, during your work on the e-book/book, when you felt like giving up? What made you change your mind? ?
Not with WOLVES AND ROSES. This was a very fun book to write and flowed rather neatly. That said, all writing is very hard work, so I don’t so much contemplate giving up as stalling!
8. Is this title part of a series? Without giving us spoilers, of course, what can we expect from the next e-books/books in the series? ?
WOLVES AND ROSES is part of a series called the Fairy Tales of the Magicorum. Next up, I’m publishing have another full novel with Bryar Rose in the Fall of 2018. After that, there will be two books each for Elle (Cinderella), Avianna (the Evil Queen from Snow White) and Scar (Red Riding Hood). Fun!
9. What do you have stored for us in the future? What are you working on/planning on next, aside this title/series? ?
OMG, I am so excited for the DIMENSION DRIFT series, which comes out in the spring of 2018! It’s an urban fantasy about a girl genius who can manipulate space time.
Fun facts: :
1. If you could wish for any one thing, and it would immediately come true, what would you wish for? ?
I’d pass. Those kind of wishes never turn out well in fairy tales!
2. If you were stranded on an isolated island, what’s the one book you’d absolutely wish to have with you? ?
Mythology by Edith Hamilton
3. Coffee or tea? ?
4. How about fav time of 24 hours? ?
Whenever I get a few hours to write
5. Latest book you’ve bought and read? ?
MORIBUND by Genevieve Iseult Eldredge. Such a great YA LGBT tale!
6. Do you collect things like stamps, or key chains, or shoes? ?
Funky jackets. I love the movie Auntie Mame (the original version) and I adored how she had new cool jackets for each scene. Collecting unusual jackets is now another hobby of mine.
7. Favorite color, you know you want to tell us! ?
That would be purple these days.
8. Have a fav quote or personal motto? ?
“It’s not how you fall down, it’s how you get up”
9. What song have you listened to most recently? ?
The remix of ‘Sweet Dreams’ done for the Atomic Blonde movie.
10. What first came to mind after reading question no. 1 of the Fun Facts section? I mean that thing that you reconsidered after giving it more thought 😛 ?
Million dollars and a trip to Europe.
1. Your top secret, uber guilty pleasure is… ?
2. If you could choose to be someone else for just one day, it would be… ?
My son. He’s on the autism spectrum and I’d love to understand more of how he thinks.
3. Your oldest memory is… ?
Not a great one. Moving on.
4. If everyone would receive a prize for being best at something, you’d be no. 1 at… ?
5. The one thing you’d do anything to avoid/get out of is… ?
6. Your favorite part of a date is… ?
7. If a character from any book could become real and you could spend a day with them, it would be… from the book… ?
I’d love to hang with Colonel Mallory.
8. You were/are a hardcore fan of… ?
Star Wars (before it was cool).
9. You’d immediately fall for someone who… ?
Had an awesome sense of humor.
10. The one thing you could/can never get over is… ?
Someone who tries to hurt my child in any way. Consider yourself warned.
About the Author & Links:
Christina Bauer knows how to tell stories about kick-ass women. In her best selling Angelbound series, the heroine is a part-demon girl who loves to fight in Purgatory’s Arena and falls in love with a part-angel prince. This young adult best seller has driven more than 500,000 ebook downloads and 9,000 reviews on Goodreads and retailers.
Bauer has also told the story of the Women’s March on Washington by leading PR efforts for the Massachusetts Chapter. Her pre-event press release—the only one sent out on a major wire service—resulted in more than 19,000 global impressions and redistribution by over 350 different media entities including the Associated Press.
Christina graduated from Syracuse University’s Newhouse School with BA’s in English along with Television, Radio, and Film Production. She lives in Newton, MA with her husband, son, and semi-insane golden retriever, Ruby.
Be the first to know about new releases from Christina by signing up for her newsletter.
Latest posts by The_Butterfly_Livia (see all)
- Star-Crossed Lover Excerpt & Giveaway - Aug 7, 2018
- What Lies in Shadows by Siena Noble Giveaway - Jul 24, 2018
- Paranormal Book Recs by Jennifer Honeybourn & When Life Gives You Demons Giveaway - Jul 17, 2018