Let’s Talk About Love
by Claire Kann
Published by: Swoon Reads
Publication date: January 23rd 2018
Genres: Contemporary, Romance, Young Adult
Alice had her whole summer planned. Non-stop all-you-can-eat buffets while marathoning her favorite TV shows (best friends totally included) with the smallest dash of adulting–working at the library to pay her share of the rent. The only thing missing from her perfect plan? Her girlfriend (who ended things when Alice confessed she’s asexual). Alice is done with dating–no thank you, do not pass go, stick a fork in her, done.
But then Alice meets Takumi and she can’t stop thinking about him or the rom com-grade romance feels she did not ask for (uncertainty, butterflies, and swoons, oh my!).
When her blissful summer takes an unexpected turn, and Takumi becomes her knight with a shiny library employee badge (close enough), Alice has to decide if she’s willing to risk their friendship for a love that might not be reciprocated—or understood.
1. If you were to describe your e-book/book in only one word, what would it be?
2. Have you ever been hit by the infamous “writer’s block”? What did you do to escape it? ?
I don’t get writer’s block. I suffer from what’s known as writer’s laziness and competing interests. To escape it, I set a schedule for myself—usually, a block of four hours, eliminate distractions, and do the work.
3. Your all-time favorite book? ?
The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman
4. What’s the longest time you’ve spent working on a project? ?
I tend to work off and on all of my projects. My most recent WIP took me about a year and three months to complete.
5. Was there ever a time, during your work on the e-book/book, when you felt like giving up? What made you change your mind? ?
Give up on the book? No. Give up on me? Yes. I wouldn’t say there was anything specific that changed my mind, but I did keep moving. I kept going forward, one day at a time until finally, I finished the book. And surprise, surprise, I still had it in me to write something else.
6. What does your day-to-day life consist of? What else do you do, aside writing? ?
I have a full-time job in the nonprofit world and writing is my entire life. Besides that not much else goes on besides knitting scarves for friends, watching shows/movies (It’s research! It’s imperative that I consume all kinds of stories), and spending time with my cat, usually in the form of naps.
7. How do you deal with bad reviews or acid criticism? What would you advise other authors to that effect? ?
I make a point to stay away from reader reviews, but I still get tagged in them, or they somehow end up crossing my path. So far, I’ve been lucky that the vast majority of reviews I’ve seen for the finished version of LTAL have been very fair and balanced with likes and dislikes listed out. For “acid criticism” my only advice would be not to engage. Just walk away and vent to a friend, cry it out, and surround yourself with things that make you happiest.
8. Is this title part of a series? Without giving us spoilers, of course, what can we expect from the next e-books/books in the series? ?
LTAL is a standalone.
9. What do you have stored for us in the future? What are you working on/planning on next, aside this title/series? ?
My next book with my publisher, Swoon Reads, is in the works but there really isn’t much to say about it yet. To keep myself busy, I also post free stories on Wattpad (@ClaireKann). There you’ll find everything from an adorkable vampire and the magical love of his life to rookie clairvoyants to college kids with god complexes.
Fun facts: :
1. Name your favorite fruit. ?
2. Coffee or tea? ?
3. Favorite season? ?
4. How about fav time of 24 hours? ?
Whenever I get to sleep.
5. Were you a boyscout/girlscout? ?
6. Favorite color, you know you want to tell us! ?
7. Drama or comedy? ?
8. Have a fav quote or personal motto? ?
Work hard, stay humble.
9. Cats or dogs? ?
1. Your top secret, uber guilty pleasure is… ?
I don’t believe in guilty pleasures. I like what I like, and that’s all there is to it.
2. If you could choose to be someone else for just one day, it would be… ?
Princess Mia Thermopolis
3. If everyone would receive a prize for being best at something, you’d be no. 1 at… ?
4. The one thing you’d do anything to avoid/get out of is… ?
Speaking on the phone.
5. If you could have any one superpower, it would be… ?
6. The one thing that always brightens your day is… ?
My cat, Tuna.
7. The most awkward moment in your life happened when… ?
I nearly slid down a wicked hill and a can of Diet Pepsi saved my life.
8. The awesomest thing in your life is… ?
One of my jobs is to be a professional storyteller. I don’t know if anything will ever top that.
Author Bio & Links:
Claire Kann hails from the glorious Bay Area where the weather is regrettably not nearly as temperate as it used to be. She has a BA in English/Creative Writing from Sonoma State University, works for a nonprofit that you may have heard of where she daydreams like she’s paid to do it. LET’S TALK ABOUT LOVE is her debut novel.
- Star-Crossed Lover Excerpt & Giveaway - Aug 7, 2018
- What Lies in Shadows by Siena Noble Giveaway - Jul 24, 2018
- Paranormal Book Recs by Jennifer Honeybourn & When Life Gives You Demons Giveaway - Jul 17, 2018