Never Fear the Reaper (Never Fear the Reaper #1)
by Ashley Pagano
Genre: Young Adult Paranormal Romance
Published: April 23rd, 2017 by Inkspell Publishing
Tagline: In a world filled with darkness… can true love spark just enough light to save it?
She’s been to the other side and back again . . . But she’s never met anyone like him.
He can see things no one else can . . . But he only sees her.
From the moment he witnesses her do the impossible . . . he is obsessed.
When Chase hires the mysterious ghost exterminator, Ryder, to cleanse his house from a pesky poltergeist he gets way more than he’s paying her for… There’s just something about Ryder that has him mesmerized.
Is it the fact that he’s witnessed her do the unexplainable? Or the fact that she’s absolutely breathtaking? Or perhaps it’s that eerie familiar feeling that they’ve met before, perhaps in another lifetime.
Chase desperately tags along with Ryder on a whirlwind of life threatening adventures in exchange for a few precious moments of alone time with her. With the Grimm Reaper’s Scythe as their defense, Chase developing some supernatural gifts of his own, and an intense crush developing between them what crazy supernatural force will target them next?
” Suddenly, from behind me, a calm, raspy voice breaks the silence. “Are you Chase? I’m Ryder,”
she asks rather firmly, extending her long fingers for a professional handshake.
Oh God, please don’t be her, please don’t be her, please don’t be her, I repeat over and over again to myself. This girl is too young and far too beautiful to be a ghost hunter. Inconveniently, she is literally my definition of perfection, dressed all in black. Long, dark brown hair, perfect bronze skin, bright green eyes that are surrounded by the longest eyelashes I’ve ever seen, a gorgeous pearl-white smile, and a slim yet slightly muscular build. I can’t help but let her catch me looking her up and down. Her appearance makes me even more uncomfortable with my situation. I even notice a colorful, feathery angel-wing tattoo that creeps down her left arm, which is ironic, given her profession.
Come on, this girl cannot be doing a job like this.
She smirks in response before I can conjure up an excuse for my gawking.
“Not at all what you expected, huh,” she says, while gesturing to the hostess with two of her
“Honestly, no you’re not…not really.” I figure it’s better to be honest with her right now.
Finally, I build up enough courage to return her handshake. I’m embarrassed when my clammy palm touches her soft, cool skin.
As we follow the hostess to a booth at the far end of the dining area, she responds, “Don’t worry, no one ever does. They expect some older, more spiritual looking woman who’s all decked out in crucifixes.” ”
1. If you were to describe your e-book/book in only one word, what would it be? Nail-biting
2. What would you say inspired you to write it? ? Of all the categories to write about this one was the most foreign and far-fetched to me. So I figured it would be the greatest challenge and the most fun as a writer.
3. What was the source of inspiration for your protagonist? What about your antagonist? ? I modeled Ryder (my protagonist) against my own personality mixed with the person I strive to be. She’s a strong-willed, powerful, and badass female huntress. The demon-lord (one of my antagonists) is the exact opposite of Ryder, lacking all sense of reason, mortality, or any regard for the human race. He was the perfect character to challenge Ryder, physically and emotionally.
4. Have you ever been hit by the infamous “writer’s block”? What did you do to escape it? ? Absolutely! Sometimes I find it’s best to step away and maybe enjoy the outdoors for clarity. Other times, a skim through the Internet for relatable topics can help spark fantastic inspiration.
5. Your all time favorite book? ? I know it’s a cliché but the Twilight Series.
6. What made you pick that one above all others? ? I just love the type of swoonworthy, all-consuming, yet challenging love that Bella and Edward share. The idea that they were meant for each other even before and after she becomes a Vampire is riveting.
7. What’s the longest time you’ve spent working on a project? ? Two years.
8. Would you say becoming an author has changed you? In what way? ? Yes, especially going through the editing process with my publisher. It’s made me a better writer and a more creative thinker. It’s amazing to know what I’ve seen in my imagination is finally out there on paper for other people to enjoy. I’m truly thankful for all of it.
9. Was there ever a time, during your work on the e-book/book, when you felt like giving up? What made you change your mind? ? Not really because I always had the story suspended in my head, the only challenge was getting from one climatic point to another, filling the space in between.
10. What does your day-to-day life consist of? What else do you do, aside writing? ? I work as a graphic artist and I love the creative freedom of my job. I also, have a beautiful family and an extraordinary baby girl whom I am honored to be her mother. With the little time and energy I have left, aside from work, family, and writing, I workout. Running, Crossfit, or Insanity are my stress-relieving outlets.
11. How do you deal with bad reviews or acid criticism? What would you advise other authors to that effect? ? I expect them and I still respect them. My books are not for everyone and that is perfectly okay. But when I receive a good review on top of a bad one, it makes it all worth it again and again.
12. Is this title part of a series? Without giving us spoilers, of course, what can we expect from the next e-books/books in the series? ? Yes, this is the first of a three book series. The second is already out and the third releases in April. You can expect a lot of unexpected twists and turns, nail-biting suspense, and a fan yourself kind of love story. This I promise.
13. What do you have stored for us in the future? What are you working on/planning on next, aside this title/series? ? I’m in the process of writing a completely different book. It’s another YA, paranormal romance but the characters are much different and there’s more of them. This one takes place in a completely different, inventive setting as well. Can you tell I’m overly excited about it?
Fun facts: :
1. If you could wish for any one thing, and it would immediately come true, what would you wish for? ? I’m going to pull the quintessential mommy card here, and wish for my daughter to be healthy and happy for the rest of her life.
2. If you were stranded on an isolated island, what’s the one book you’d absolutely wish to have with you? ? Ha. Ha. Probably a book on how to survive in the wild or else I’d probably be dead in a few days.
3. Name your favorite fruit. ? Apples!
4. Coffee or tea? ? Tea. Green.
5. Favorite season? ? Summer.
6. How about fav time of 24 hours? ? I’m a night owl!
7. Were you a boyscout/girlscout? ? Nope (see question 2).
8. Favorite food for breakfast? ? Hashbrowns.
9. Latest book you’ve bought and read? ? Honestly, my own.
10. Do you collect things like stamps, or key chains, or shoes? ? Dreamcatchers.
11. Favorite color, you know you want to tell us! ? Orange.
12. Drama or comedy? ? Drama.
13. Have a fav quote or personal motto? ? Rise above the B**S**t.
14. Cats or dogs? ? I have one of each!
15. Dinner by candlelight or a night out clubbing? ? Dinner by candlelight. Peace and quiet is hard to come by these days.
16. What song have you listened to most recently? ? A lot of country music.
17. What first came to mind after reading question no. 1 of the Fun Facts section? I mean that thing that you reconsidered after giving it more thought 😛 ? I’d never reconsider question 1. However, two years ago before my daughter I may have had some other wild ideas for it.
1. Your top secret, uber guilty pleasure is… ? Watching the Bachelor or the Bachelorette (yes, I know it’s raunchy but it’s so damn entertaining).
2. If you could choose to be someone else for just one day, it would be… ? J.K. Rowling. To be inside her head for a day would be an incredible adventure.
3. Your oldest memory is… ? I was three or four, I believe, and I was swinging on a tire swing and the chains snapped and I landed on my butt in the dirt.
4. If everyone would receive a prize for being best at something, you’d be no. 1 at… ? Keeping my cool in every situation.
5. The one thing you’d do anything to avoid/get out of is… ? Traffic! I hate traffic.
6. Your favorite part of a date is… ? When you can look into your person’s eyes and you can tell just how fond they are of you. That glimmering reminder. It might only be for a second, or it may last the entire night, but that look that tells you how much they desire you.
7. You were/are a hardcore fan of… ? Country Music.
8. You’d immediately fall for someone who… ? Makes me laugh until my stomach hurts.
9. The one thing you could/can never get over is… ? Selfishness.
10. If you could have any one superpower, it would be… ? Control the weather. I think that superpower is so intriguing and I’m a huge fan of Storm from the X-Men.
11. The one thing that always brightens your day is… ? My daughter’s smile.
12. The most awkward moment in your life happened when… ? When I fell in love with a co-worker. But the beginning of our relationship, taking that step up from friendship to romance was so awkward in the workplace. Keeping it a secret while trying desperately to be professional. Well we must have done something right because now we’re happily married.
13. The awesomest thing in your life is… ? Besides my family, the fact that I’m a published writer.
About the Author&Links:
Ashley Pagano has always dreamed of being an artist both figuratively and literally. Her love of art was
instilled by her mother who always inspired her to be creative either with a paintbrush or with a pen and paper. As far back as she can remember her life was always centered around introspection, storytelling, and imagination.
Because she is so artistic, she took to the idea of creative writing very passionately. Her ability to describe a scene, person, or place, she compares to painting a picture, where she can describe every detail vividly in order to make the reader feel like they’re truly living in the story. Her works of writing usually center around a powerhouse female protagonist (which reflect her own personality), who progresses through many wild and extreme obstacles.
Ashley loves to write stories that end with a cliffhanger, that leave the reader begging for more and questioning what happens next. Her most recent novel sets the stage for the paranormal romance of the century and includes
ghosts, poltergeists, and demons who just love to get in the way of true love. Ashley has won awards for her design, art, and writing.
Ashley doesn’t believe in down time whatsoever and actually loves having a full “To-Do”list. Ashley is a wife
to her wonderful husband, Eric and a mother to a beautiful little baby girl named Dakota. She is also a Graphic Designer and a health and fitness coach.
Her husband and daughter inspire her to be the best person she can be and encourage her to pursue any of her dreams (no matter how extravagant they may be).
Latest posts by The_Butterfly_Livia (see all)
- Demon Familiar by Bellora Quinn & Sadie Rose Bermingham Excerpt - Jun 21, 2018
- Dangerous by Minerva Spencer Excerpt - Jun 14, 2018
- Splash by M.E. Rhines Excerpt & Giveaway - Jun 13, 2018