Published by: Swoon Reads
Publication date: May 22nd 2018
Genres: Contemporary, LGBTQ+, Young Adult
A teen rockstar has to navigate family, love, coming out, and life in the spotlight after being labeled the latest celebrity trainwreck in Jen Wilde’s quirky and utterly relatable novel.
As a rock star drummer in the hit band The Brightsiders, Emmy King’s life should be perfect. But there’s nothing the paparazzi love more than watching a celebrity crash and burn. When a night of partying lands Emmy in hospital and her girlfriend in jail, she’s branded the latest tabloid train wreck.
Luckily, Emmy has her friends and bandmates, including the super-swoonworthy Alfie, to help her pick up the pieces of her life. She knows hooking up with a band member is exactly the kind of trouble she should be avoiding, and yet Emmy and Alfie Just. Keep. Kissing.
Will the inevitable fallout turn her into a clickbait scandal (again)? Or will she find the strength to stand on her own?
1. If you were to describe your e-book/book in only one word, what would it be?
2. What was the source of inspiration for your protagonist? What about your antagonist? ?
A lot of the inspiration for Emmy came from seeing how the media treat queer celebrities, and how famous women in particular are burned in headlines if they make a mistake but men get away with much more. My antagonists are toxic people in Emmy’s life, and some of that came from my own experiences with toxic people and gaslighting.
3. Have you ever been hit by the infamous “writer’s block”? What did you do to escape it? ?
Absolutely! I’ve had a lot of moments where I get stuck or lose motivation. Usually, I go over the story outline or character bios again and that sparks inspiration, otherwise I pick a scene I’m most excited about writing, and then write that. If none of that works, I step away from my computer and try to focus on something else for a day or two, then come back to it with fresh eyes.
4. Your all time favorite book? ?
I haven’t read it in years, but Girl, Interrupted will always be special to me.
5. What made you pick that one above all others? ?
I read it many times as a teenager, and it was the first time I’d ever seen anything talk openly and honestly about mental illness. I related to it more than I wanted to, and it was the first book that ever made me feel like I wasn’t alone.
6. Was there ever a time, during your work on the e-book/book, when you felt like giving up? What made you change your mind? ?
Yep! As much fun as I have developing and writing a story, I always hit a wall when it’s time for edits. It can be so overwhelming and I feel like there’s too much to do and not enough time to do it. But I remind myself that I’ve done it all before, and the edits make the book a thousand times better, and that helps me push through the overwhelm.
7. Is this title part of a series? Without giving us spoilers, of course, what can we expect from the next e-books/books in the series? ?
It’s not part of a series, but I will say that some characters from my first book, QUEENS OF GEEK, make an appearance!
8. What do you have stored for us in the future? What are you working on/planning on next, aside this title/series? ?
I’m currently working on my third book, GOING OFF-SCRIPT, about a teen who scores her dream internship writing for her fave tv show, but her boss takes her gay characters and makes them straight.
Fun facts: :
1. Name your favorite fruit. ?
2. Coffee or tea? ?
3. Favorite season? ?
Winter – but only if I’m somewhere it snows. Few things make me happier than writing by a window as snow falls outside.
4. Drama or comedy? ?
Comedy. Life is dramatic enough.
5. Cats or dogs? ?
6. Dinner by candlelight or a night out clubbing? ?
Ten years ago, I would have said clubbing. But I’m old now.
7. What song have you listened to most recently? ?
Make Me Feel by Janelle Monae.
1. If you could choose to be someone else for just one day, it would be… ?
Harry Styles. I seriously covet all of his glittery suits.
2. If everyone would receive a prize for being best at something, you’d be no. 1 at… ?
Knowing how a movie is going to end.
3. If a character from any book could become real and you could spend a day with them, it would be… from the book… ?
Is it weird if I pick a character from my own book? I’d love to hang out with Emmy or Alfie.
4. You were/are a hardcore fan of… ?
My biggest fan obsession would have to be Dawson’s Creek. I still have a Dawson’s Creek folder, filled with all my old posters and magazine cut outs. It was my whole life when I was a teenager.
5. If you could have any one superpower, it would be… ?
Invisibility. So I could go out and not have to socialize with anyone, haha.
6. The one thing that always brightens your day is… ?
Cute animal videos. Especially if it involves pugs, sloths or otters.
Jen Wilde is a writer, geek and fangirl with a penchant for coffee, books and pugs. She writes YA stories about zombies (AS THEY RISE), witches (ECHO OF THE WITCH) and fangirls (QUEENS OF GEEK). Her debut series reached over three million reads online and became an Amazon bestseller. Her next book, THE BRIGHTSIDERS, comes out May 2018, and GOING OFF-SCRIPT releases Summer 2019.
When she’s not writing, Jen loves binge-watching her favorite shows on Netflix, eating pizza, traveling to far away places and going to conventions in Marty McFly cosplay.
- Star-Crossed Lover Excerpt & Giveaway - Aug 7, 2018
- What Lies in Shadows by Siena Noble Giveaway - Jul 24, 2018
- Paranormal Book Recs by Jennifer Honeybourn & When Life Gives You Demons Giveaway - Jul 17, 2018